If you can read this, you’ve already won!
That’s right, you’ve won the freedom to participate in Groupon’s new Weekly Twitter Contests—a gauntlet of wit, will, and skill that will test your creativity, physical endurance, and Twittering ability. But we can already hear you asking—via our vast, technically legal network of customer listening devices—what’s in it for me?
Well…how does a weekly prize of $72 sound?
If you said, “Sounds great!” you’d better buckle up, because we won’t be giving away a weekly prize of $72. We’ll be giving away a weekly prize of $100.
That’s 100 free Groupon Bucks to spend on dining, services, or memorable experiences with loved ones who will see you with new admiration once your talent is finally validated by strangers on the Internet. It’s easy to play:
- Start now by following @Groupon on Twitter. Every Monday morning we’ll announce that week’s Twitter contest.
- You may be called upon to write something, craft something, or solve a riddle—the possibilities are only limited by our imaginations and international law.
- You have until Friday afternoon to get in your submission. Winners will be announced on Friday at 5 p.m. (CST).
- Full rules, including easy-to-follow legal jargon, are available to read after the break below.
And it doesn’t stop there. Each week we’ll also award a secondary “G for Effort” prize of 50 Groupon Bucks to one tenacious, frequent player—or to an honorable mention or a surprising interpretation of that day’s request.
Finally, because we’re so excited about unleashing your collective brain potential, the first Twitter contest starts not Monday, but RIGHT NOW! Follow @Groupon on Twitter to see what we’ve cooked up for this inaugural contest!
* * *
GROUPON WEEKLY TWITTER CONTEST
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Each week until Groupon announces the end of its weekly Twitter contests, beginning on Monday and ending on Thursday at 5:00 pm (CST) (each day a “Promotion Period”) you may enter the Groupon Weekly Twitter Contest (the “Contest”). There will be two separate types of contests, the type of which will be identified in the Tweet announcing the week’s Contest: 1) Activity based Contests–in which the winner will be the eligible entrant who is the first to perform the activity stated in the Tweet, or the entrant who is the most successful in achieving the activity/result stated in the Tweet; or 2) Creativity based Contests– in which the winner is chosen as a result of the application of the judging criteria set forth below. LIMIT: one (1) entry per person, or household, per Contest. Excessive entries will result in disqualification. All entries must be associated with valid Twitter accounts and a valid e-mail address. All entries submitted become the sole property of Groupon, Inc. (“Sponsor”) and none will be returned. Groupon also asserts the right to publish all entries or use entries for other promotional purposes in any type of media. By entering you agree to Sponsor’s use of your Tweet, Twitter icon and Tweet handle for promotional purposes without compensation. No mechanically reproduced, or photocopied entries allowed. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, incomplete, damaged, or misdirected entries.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. Void outside of the 50 United States and D.C., Canada (other than Quebec) and where prohibited. Employees of Sponsor, its affiliates, distributors, retailers, advertising, promotion and judging agencies and the immediate families and household members of each are not eligible. Entrants must have valid Groupon and Twitter accounts to receive prize. Though Twitter is not a sponsor of or otherwise affiliated with the Contests, Twitter terms and conditions apply. Automated methods of entry are prohibited and any use of automated devices will cause disqualification.
3. ENTRY: The Tweet announcing the weekly Contest will state whether the Contest is activity or creativity based. For activity based Contests, entrants will need to demonstrate that they were the first to meet the criteria or were the most successful in meeting the criteria as appropriate for the announced activity. For creativity based Contests, entrants must Tweet their submission to @Groupon, using a hashtag supplied by @Groupon for that week’s Contest submissions.
For creativity based Contests, entries must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been previously published or used for public display by any third party; must not infringe any third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements; may not invade privacy, publicity or other rights of any person, firm or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; may not contain any reference to any third party trademarks, names or third party logos; and may not contain any copyrighted works owned by third parties. All entries will be reviewed for content eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules before being judged. Entries containing false information, prohibited material or inappropriate content, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may be disqualified.
For all Contests, Sponsor makes the final determination as to what entries are eligible. Submission of an entry grants Sponsor and its agents the unconditional, irrevocable, worldwide right to publish, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such entry in any way, in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration to the entrant, whether or not such entry is selected as a winning entry. BY SUBMITTING THE ORIGINAL ENTRY, THE ENTRANT REPRESENTS AND WARRANTS THAT HE/SHE HAS ALL RIGHT, TITLE AND INTEREST NECESSARY TO GRANT THE SPONSOR THE WORLDWIDE, IRREVOCABLE AND UNRESTRICTED RIGHT AND LICENSE TO ADAPT, PUBLISH, USE, EDIT, AND/OR MODIFY SUCH ENTRY IN ANY WAY AND POST THE ORIGINAL ENTRY ON THE INTERNET OR USE THE ORIGINAL ENTRY IN ANY OTHER WAY AND AGREES TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD SPONSOR HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIMS TO THE CONTRARY. By submitting an entry, you agree that your submission is gratuitous and made without restriction, and will not place Sponsor under any obligation, that Sponsor is the owner of the entry and that is free to disclose or otherwise disclose the ideas contained in the entry on a non-confidential basis to anyone or otherwise use the entry in any and all media without any additional compensation to you. You acknowledge that, by acceptance of your submission, Sponsor does not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsor, or developed by its employees, or obtained from sources other than you.
4. SELECTION OF WINNERS: All eligible entries received during a Promotion Period will be judged by a qualified panel of judges upon the conclusion of the Promotion Period. Creativity based Contests will be judged on the following criteria: (1) creativity/artistic merit (33 1/3%); (2) humor (33 1/3%); and (3) consistency with the Contest theme stated in the Tweet (33 1/3%). The entry with the highest total score will be the winner. In the event of a tie, the tied entries will be re-judged, and if still tied then the highest score in the consistency with Contest theme category will be declared the winner.
For activity based Contests the judges, in their sole discretion will determine the entry that first or best met the activity criteria as stated in and applicable to the Tweet.
Entrants agree that the Judges have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions are final and binding in all respects.
4. PRIZES: For Contests, One (1) Grand Prize winner per Contest will receive either $100 in Groupon Bucks awarded to the Groupon account registered to the winner within One (1) week of winning notification and announcement or a “G-oodie-esque prize” selected by the humor team as stated in the Tweet to be sent within Two (2) weeks of winning notification and announcement. ARV will not exceed $100 unless stated in the Tweet.
Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission from the prize winner for Sponsor and its public relations/promotional agencies to use the prize winner’s name, prize, biographical information, trip experience, state of residence and likeness for public relations, advertising and promotional purposes online and in print, or in other media, in connection with the Contest without additional compensation unless prohibited by law.
5. TERMS & CONDITIONS: The winner will be notified by email on or after the business day following the Contest. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. In the event of any dispute regarding who is the Entrant that submitted an e-mail entry, the potential winner must provide Sponsor with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the potentially winning entry. By entering, entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these rules and the judges’ decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to each Contest. Prizes are non-transferable. No cash redemption or substitution permitted, except by Sponsor, who may substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Any and all federal, state, and local taxes, and any other related expenses on prizes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
By accepting prize, each winner agrees that neither Sponsor its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, retailers, and/or any of their respective shareholders, directors, officers, distributors, employees or promotion/advertising agencies will have any liability whatsoever for any injuries, losses, harm, damage, cost, or expense arising from or in connection with participation in this contest or any prize related activities, or the acceptance, possession, use and/or misuse of a prize including, without limitation, any personal injury or death. By accepting prize, winner acknowledges that Sponsor, its parent, affiliates, subsidiaries, distributors, retailers, and/or any of their respective shareholders, directors, officers, distributors, employees or promotion/advertising agencies have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to a prize, including but not limited to its quality or merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose. Acceptance of prize further constitutes winner’s consent that the Sponsor may use winner’s name, state of residence, likeness and/or prize and biographical information worldwide without limitation for advertising or promotional purposes without further compensation, except where prohibited. All Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations apply.
Winner’s name, image, entry and essay may be used by Sponsor in any and all media.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Sponsor is not responsible for any lost, misdirected, delayed or illegible entries, nor for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by Web site users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of entries. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Sponsor is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line-systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this contest. If, for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this contest, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest.
7. OTHER. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING, REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Without limiting the foregoing, Sponsor may disqualify any entrants from the contest who deliberately damage, tamper with or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest.
8. OFFICIAL RULES/WINNER’S LIST: For an additional copy of these Official Rules send a stamped, self-addressed envelope (residents of Vermont may omit return postage) to: Groupon Weekly Twitter Contest, c/o Editorial; 600 West Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60654. Weekly winners will be announced weekly by Twitter- @Groupon_Says Twitter .
Sponsor: Groupon, Inc. 600 West Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60654